Upcoming Painter, Decorator, Paperhanger Recruitment
District Council 9 Finishing Trades Institute of New York will conduct a recruitment beginning August 24, 2021 for Painter, Decorator, and Paperhanger apprentices for our New York City training program covering the areas New York City, Westchester, Nassau, and Suffolk Counties.
Applications can be obtained, in person only, from Finishing Trades Institute of New York, 45-15 36th Street, Long Island City, NY, from 8:30 a.m. to 3:00 p.m., Monday through Friday, during the recruitment period. This is a limited-application recruitment. 500 applications will be distributed, on a first-come, first-serve basis. The recruitment will be offered for 10 business days OR until 500 applications have been issued, whichever comes first.
The Committee requires that applicants:
- Must be at least 18 years old.
- Must have a high school diploma or a high school equivalency diploma (such as GED or TASC). Proof of high school diploma or equivalent will be required at the time of enrollment in apprenticeship.
- Must be physically able to perform the work of a painter, decorator, paperhanger as determined by site evaluations and personal statement (more information will be provided during a mandatory orientation).
- Must take a drug test prior to enrollment in apprenticeship and random throughout the apprenticeship program, at the expense of sponsor.
- Must be able to read, hear, understand instructions and warnings in English.
- Must sign an affidavit attesting to:
- Lifting and carrying material and equipment up to 70 pounds.
- Working from ladders, scaffolds, lifts and suspended scaffolds.
We encourage all candidates interested in working in the Finishing Trades to come down and fill out an application. For further information, applicants should contact Finishing Trades Institute of New York at (718) 937-7440.